Raising Awareness & Corporate Employment opportunities for people with disabilities in Turkey
Project duration: 1 11 November 2011-October 2013 1111
RACE brought together partners from 5 different countries in the endeavor to enable persons with disabilities to enter the open labor market and thus to gain more independence and confidence. This will be achieved through adapting and applying in practice the training materials and tools developed in previous EU funded projects: ‘Conversion’ and ‘Pass it on’, and through creating new tools for the project target groups.
- Vocational education & training (VET) trainers
- Line managers
- Policy makers
The aim is to engage and guide the participants in the efforts for creating and facilitating learning and employment opportunities for persons with disabilities.
Why Raising Awareness for Pers ons with disabilities is important?
Disability is often connected to unemployment and social exclusion. Prejudice and discrimination are the main reasons of low employment rates for people with disabilities in most EU countries. Also in line with EU conventions & strategies the society has the responsibility to create opportunities for them. One way to do so is through Supported employment which offers a suitable model to avoid segregation of persons with disabilities and is much more inclusive than sheltered workplaces. The model is 'place-train-maintain'. The benefits of increased independence and inclusion are not limited to the persons with disabilities only, employers benefit as well and so does the society. Still, it is very rare in practice, thus the main project aim is to promote and increase it.
What will we do?
- Transfer of knowledge and EU good practices, training materials, guidelines
- Support to Turkish policy makers with key materials and expertise
- Raise awareness among corporate and politic communities and the society on the benefits of persons with disabilities integration
- Enable managers and key staff professionals to implement supported employment
- Enable VET, disability organizations etc. to support the persons with disabilities in open labor market
- Achieve sustainability through a set-up of national helpdesk
Outcomes and Results:
- Blended training program for managers, VET providers, counselors etc. to support persons with disabilities in open labor market
- Pilot training in Turkey and Italy
- Guidelines for integrating people with disabilities into the workplace
- Policy roundtables in Turkey and Belgium
- Best practice catalogue of policy approaches and instruments
- Policy recommendations for Turkish decision makers
- Corporate roundtables in each partner country
- Dissemination materials-project website, videos and more
- Final seminar in Turkey
As a result the employers and VET providers in Turkey and Italy will gain competences to facilitate supported employment. This efficient training model will be also offered for further exploitation. The stakeholders in Turkey will get experience with supported employment and access to best practices, as well as EU networks to equip them for decision making for future policies. The awareness of supported employment and its concrete benefits will be raised not only in Turkey and Italy, but over partnership also in other EU countries.
More information on RACE at the project website: www.employdisable.eu
This project has been funded with support from the European Commission. This communication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.