With the support of 5 national French advocacy organisations, including EASPD member, Unapei, the European Disability Forum and Inclusion Europe have lodged a collective complaint to the Council of Europe against France. The complaint asserts that France is in breach of the legal obligations it is committed to in the European Social Charter and the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
In particular the collective complaint concerns the institutionalisation of persons with support needs in another country, away from their family and community, with families waiting for over 15 years for appropriate housing.
Further failures by the French state, highlighted in the complaint include:
- The lack of equal and effective access to social support services
- The lack of equal and effective access to healthcare
- The lack of equal and effective access to housing
- The lack of essential support to independent living
- The failure in its duty to protect families
- The failure in its duty to protect work-life balance