VenueJAN 6Q1 European Parliament, Brussels.
- Thomas Bignal, EASPD Policy Officer, Unlocking the EFSI for investment into Social Services
- Sorcha Edwards, Housing Europe Secretary General, Social Inclusion and EFSI
Social Services have significant investment needs given the rising demand for services, the important job creation that comes alongside such demand and the necessity to develop high quality, personalized and user-driven care and support services in line with the EU’s human rights principles. The European Fund for Strategic Investment (EFSI) can be a useful tool in which to unlock investment into high quality social services and improve career paths for its workforce.
Despite this potential, only 3% of EFSI investment has been dedicated to “social infrastructure”; far below the possible contribution EFSI could make towards such a growing sector. The Seminar will aim at discussing how the EFSI could better target investment into this field, as well as tackling the many issues that arise when discussing the financing of such an important sector: quality requirements, user involvement, role of public and private financing, etc.
The Seminar –hosted by Ms Romana Tomc- will also be the perfect opportunity to discuss how the European Parliament’s report on the “Implementation of EFSI” could ensure that such a financial mechanism can contribute significantly to social inclusion in Europe, in particular through investment in high-quality social services. Ms Romana Tomc is also the EMPL Committee’s rapporteur for the report on the Implementation of EFSI.
A full briefing on the state of play about EFSI and Social Services can be found here.
Accreditation to the European Parliament. Please come to the main entrance of the European Parliament on the side of Place du Luxembourg. Last entry for those who need accreditation will be at 8h40.
09h00 – 09h15
Welcoming Speech by Ms Romana Tomc, Host & Member of the European Parliament (EPP, SI) and Mr Luk Zelderloo, Secretary General EASPD
09h15 – 09h35
Perspective on the opportunities of EFSI for social services by Thomas Bignal, Policy Officer EASPD
09h35 – 10h15
PANEL I: “Perspectives from Stakeholders on EFSI”
Discussion led by Mr Luk Zelderloo, Secretary General EASPD
- Ms Sorcha Edwards, Secretary General, Housing Europe
- Mr Paul Ongenaert, Director, Tabor Invest
- Ms Gwendoline Hoorelbeke, Senior Public and Social Banker, Belfius
10h15 – 10h50
PANEL II “Perspective from EU institutions”
Discussion led by Mr Dirk Coeckelbergh, Social Investment Expert
- Ms Ruth Paserman, Deputy Head of Cabinet for Marianne Thyssen, Commissioner for Employment, Social Affairs, Skills and Labour Mobility
- Mr Udo Bullmann, Co-rapporteur for Report on the “Proposal for a Regulation on EFSI” (2013)
- Mr Georgi Pirinski, Member of the European Parliament
Questions and Answers with participants
10h50 – 11h00
Conclusions by Ms Romana Tomc, MEP and Mr Luk Zelderloo, EASPD Secretary General
- EASPD Study on Unlocking the EFSI for Social Services
- The EFSI website and leaflet
- EASPD State of Play Briefing on EFSI and Social Services
- Who to follow on Twitter: #investEU @EASPD_Brussels @EIB @MiguelGilTertre @AuraSalla @jyrkikatainen